Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Snoozing to Utopia?

The NY Times article Sunday said what most of us who saw Coast of Utopia were thinking. "Here's something that works better than Ambien!"
I should preface my comments by saying that I am a huge Tom Stoppard fan--I even named my goldfish after one of his plays, "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead."

So, I was thrilled when my husband scored $35 tickets to the second part of the trilogy. But that excitement waned, and eventually drooped, as I sat through three hours of uninspired dialogue. Act II was much better than the first half, and Amy Irving was superb for the 1 minute she was on stage. But, I have to agree with Charles Isherwood that Stoppard over-reached with Utopia and didn't create a drama, so much as an ambitious assortment of characters who bounce off each other at odd angles.
Still, at least Stoppard tried to create something intellectually powerful. That's more than I can say for most of the stuff that's out there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home