Monday, September 20, 2010

More Books!

I finished two pretty good books following the Franzen epic. "Girl in Translation" by Jean Kwok and "Service Included" by Phoebe Damrosch. I wish the Damrosch book were a little more revealing about life at a 4 star restaurant. I wouldn't have been suprised if Thomas Keller line edited it himself. But, it was still an interesting behind-the-scenes look at NYC restaurants. I liked the tidbit about how the overindulgence in food and drink leads to embarrassing stomach upsets in the dining room!

Did anyone else have trouble with the dialect in "The Help?" It was just so jarring knowing the author is white and taking on the "voice" of this black character. I know it's a huge bestseller, but I couldn't get past the first two chapters.

I am now in a very dangerous predicament. I am without reading material! Please send suggestions (or books!) if you have them.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know a little girl, so proud to be dining at the Fairmont for brunch, who ate an eclair that could have fed three. She made a less than elegant departure for the restroom - just in time.

11:56 AM  
Blogger Amy Ettinger said...

Thanks mom! It's nice to be reminded of these moments.

4:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am thrilled to see someone else who didn't "just love" The Help as it was feeling like I was the only one. I only made it a couple of chapters myself before very happily giving it back to the library to pass on to the next person on the waiting list.

I just found your blog today, courtesy of your piece in the Motherlode blog so I'm not sure of your reading tastes. But if you haven't tried The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins, you owe it to yourself to check them out.

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home